Stuffed Hungry Hapa Peppers (Adapted from Simply Recipes)
- 6 bell peppers
- 5 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1 lb of meatloaf mix (ground veal, beef, pork)
- 1 1/2 cup of cooked brown rice
- 1 cup chopped canned tomatoes (drained)
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon of dried oregano
- Fresh ground pepper
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/2 tsp of Worcestershire Sauce
- Dash of Tabasco sauce
- 1/2 cup-1 cup shredded cheese (we used Monteray Jack)
1 Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat. Meanwhile, cut top off peppers 1 inch from the stem end, and remove seeds. Add several generous pinches of salt to boiling water, then add peppers and boil, using a spoon to keep peppers completely submerged, until brilliant green (or red if red peppers) and their flesh slightly softened, about 3 minutes. Drain, set aside to cool.
2 Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Heat 4 tbsp of the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onions and cook, stirring often, until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook a minute more. Remove skillet from heat, add meatloaf mix, rice, tomatoes, and oregano, and season generously with salt and pepper. Mix well.
3 Drizzle remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil inside the peppers. Arrange the cut side of the peppers up in a baking dish, then stuff peppers with filling. Combine ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, Tabasco sauce, and 1/4 cup of water in a small bowl, then spoon over filling. Add 1/4 cup of water to the baking dish. Place in oven and bake for 55-65 minutes. Remove peppers, top with cheese, and bake until cheese melts.